Businesses Call for Better Broadband

Businesses Call for Better Broadband

Broadband providers in the UK have come up against some heavy criticism in recent months. In fact, nearly 45,000 small UK businesses are still using dial-up connections. Businesses are demanding reform in the area and asking the government to facilitate widely accessible broadband access to all businesses throughout the country.

 

 

Many residential consumers are able to source the best broadband deals with a few simple clicks and, a comparative search engine, meaning you can choose the optimum internet package for you. For businesses however the task seems to be more challenging. The FSB is arguing that current target speeds of 24Mbps for 95% of the population and 2Mbps for the remaining 5% are simply not enough to effectively conduct business in a digital capacity.

In many cases these speeds prohibit the ability for companies to send digital invoices, upload and share large data files and can even make online communication with clients challenging at times.

 

Broadband Services For All

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) is calling upon the government to commit to 100Mbps broadband service to all businesses by 2030. While an ambitious goal for the UK, this target still puts the country some 10 years behind Denmark which has set targets that should see 100% of its population with access to 100Mbps broadband coverage by 2020.

While homeowners are able to source a range of broadband packages to suit most domestic needs from gaming, to television and music streaming, as well as any light home-based business needs, the professional consumer market is feeling somewhat left behind.

Professional bodies of all kinds from the FSB to large business parks are calling for access to superfast broadband services to facilitate economic growth and productivity, and have suggested that opening the broadband market up to wider competition may be the best solution.

 

 

The Need For Structural Reform

The FSB suggests that a significant structural reform of current UK broadband markets may be required in order to increase diversity in the marketplace and force innovation through competition.

By making room for new entrants and altnets in the world of broadband, the UK will be facilitating market growth which could evolve into a sophisticated digital infrastructure large enough and innovative enough to compete in global markets which it currently just cannot.

UK broadband providers continue to develop diverse offerings for consumers, and small businesses are now calling upon the industry and the government to push the envelope; to consider what’s possible with universally accessible high-speed connections, and what implications that could have for the UK in larger international markets.

Photo source – Broadband” by Sean MacEntee

[cunjo layout=”inline_buttons”]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *