How to deal with the fear of rejection
Rejection can be really tough to take. How many times do you hear it?
- “I really want to ask that guy/girl out, but I’m scared I might get rejected.”
- “I want to start my own business, but I’m scared people won’t like it”
- “I don’t want to trial for a sports team, I might not get selected”
However, as we have heard so many times, ”There is nothing to fear but fear itself”.
EVERYONE fails. All the best people fail.
All the best and successful people didn’t’t just get to where they are. They got rejected:
- Decca Recording Studios told The Beatles “we don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. They have no future in show business.”
- The MGM testing director told Fred Astaire that he “can’t act, can’t sing, slightly bald, can dance a little”.
- Steven Spielberg was rejected from the University of Southern California School of Theater, Film and Television three times.
- Winston Churchill failed sixth grade and was defeated in every election for public office until he became PM at the age of 62.
- Thomas Edison’s teachers told him that he was “too stupid to learn anything”.
- Michael Jordan was dropped from his high-school basketball team.
- The manager of the Grand Ole Opry told Elvis that “You ain’t goin’ nowhere, son. You ought to go back to drivin’ a truck.”
- Henry Ford went bankrupt five times before he founded the Ford Motor Company.
- Walt Disney was fired because “he lacked imagination and had no good ideas”.
- At 22, Oprah Winfrey was told that she was “unfit for TV”.
- And finally…even Colonel Sanders knows rejection. It is reported that his secret chicken recipe was rejected 1,009 times before a restaurant accepted it.
How does this impact my wallet?
So, what does this have to do with personal finance. Well, to earn more income in life, you generally need to ask people for things.
If you have a job, you may need to ask your boss for a raise or a better bonus.
If you have a business, you need to ask your customers for a price increase or a volume increase, or you may need to ask for investors.
If you are buying a house, you should be getting rejected. If your offer gets accepted straight away, you’ve offered too much because you were afraid of rejection.
If you are trying to earn more income, you might need to ask people for work, whether you are doing additional tuition, mowing lawns or whatever else you are doing.
How to lose your fear of rejection
Don’t be frightened, JUST ASK! You’ll be surprised at what you can get:
I’ll let Jia Jiang explain:
How have you guys overcome your fear of rejection? What are you scared of? What tips do you have?